Giving Habits Some Flexibility: Welcoming a Touch of Gray into a Black-and-White World
Flipping through an empty tracker, I realized that what stops us isn't laziness, but unrealistic expectations. As a nurse and language learner, I used *Elastic Habits* to break down my Korean study into Mini, Plus, and Elite tiers. In a stark black-and-white world, let this quiet shade of elastic gray help you reclaim control and find an uninterrupted daily rhythm.
------------
閱讀中文版:「給習慣一些彈性」
------------
Giving Habits Some Flexibility:
Welcoming a Touch of Gray into a Black-and-White World
Flipping through my empty tracker, I began to doubt if I was truly learning Korean.
I had bought textbooks, saved countless tutorial videos, and written down detailed plans—yet in the face of daily exhaustion and busy shifts, I kept pushing studying to tomorrow.
I began to wonder how to reclaim intentional Korean learning within the limits of my depleted energy.
While trying to make adjustments, I encountered the book “Elastic Habits.” It shone a quiet light into my narrowed mind, making me realize that sometimes, what stops us is not laziness, but expectations that no longer fit the reality of our lives.
In the past, I set rigid goals for myself: study for an hour every day, including vocabulary memorization, grammar exercises, and sentence making practice. However, my stamina and ability to concentrate dropped to zero after long nursing shifts. And so these rigid expectations gradually became insurmountable hurdles.
Each failed attempt quietly accumulated into an inescapable sense of frustration and erode my motivation. As the motivation gradually wore away, my attention and energy naturally drifted toward other distractions instead of returning to Korean study.
The book reminded me of something simple: “Rather than chasing perfect results, pursue uninterrupted practice.”
Slow living follows the same philosophy.
We do not need to pursue flawless habits; we just need to start with actions so small they are almost impossible to fail.
Remember: doing something is always better than doing nothing!
I began to adjust my approach, refusing to confine myself to a single standard. Setting a broad direction for my Korean studies, I broke down the daily activities into three flexible tiers based on the suggestions from the book: Mini, Plus, and Elite.
* **Mini Goal:** Listen and read along with a YouTube video/ memorize just one word/ review one grammar point.
* **Plus Goal:** Watch the video twice/ learn three words/ practice two grammar points with sentences.
* **Elite Goal:** Watch the video twice and deeply study the unfamiliar words/ memorize five words / practice three grammar points with sentences.
If I don't feel like watching a video, I switch to a short, simple Korean reading instead.
Studying is no longer a single measurement of success. Instead, it adapts to my energy levels here and now.
Now, during the quiet sanctuary of breakfast, I watch a ten-minute Korean YouTube video. If I have the time and energy, I jot down unfamiliar words and phrases. If my energy is depleted, simply finishing the video is already enough to complete the “mini goal."
This flexible adjustment transforms learning from a suffocating chore on a checklist into something that presents naturally in everyday life —like breathing.
Through this uninterrupted practice, I have noticed my Korean listening skills slightly improving, and the words I used to forget are slowly taking root in my memory. Though the pace of progress is slow, I can genuinely see my growth.
In busy and uncontrollable days, we all need a little flexibility to make room for the things that elevate us.
Habits need flexibility, just as life needs spaces.
When we finally choose to declutter our obsession with perfection, progress becomes within reach.
In a world of stark black and white, it is this quiet shade of gray that helps me to reclaim a sense of balance and control over my life.
------------
閱讀中文版:「給習慣一些彈性」
------------
Comments
Post a Comment
Something to share?
Want to give feedback?
Asking questions?
Feel free to comment!