Starting Over: How I Made Skincare a “Low-Effort” Habit.
When skincare keeps falling apart halfway through, the problem may not be a lack of willpower— but a method that does not fit your life rhythm. This post is not about powerful products or perfect routines. It is about how I started from the lowest possible threshold and slowly built a skincare habit I could actually maintain.
閱讀中文版:「從頭開始:如何讓保養成為一種「不費力」習慣?」
------------
Starting Over:
How I Began to Maintain a Skincare Habit
When I gradually realised that the issue was not weak discipline,
but that my skincare routine was disconnected from my daily life,
I began to rethink one simple question:
Is there a way for skincare to become part of life, instead of a forced “daily task”?
How Did I Start My Skincare Habit?
I did not make any dramatic changes.
At first, I only wanted to make skincare simpler—
simple enough to fit naturally into my day,
simple enough to be sustained long-term.
At that time, I set just one goal for myself:
to use my skincare products before they expired.
I did not aim for a complete routine.
I did not follow multi-step tutorials online.
I was simply looking for a method that felt right for who I was at that moment.
Starting from the Lowest Threshold
At the end of 2024, I set myself an intentionally low bar.
Every night, after brushing my teeth and washing my face,
I did just one thing— applied a little aloe gel.
I did not require myself to apply it morning and night.
I did not add any extra products.
I deliberately avoided routines that looked “complete” or “professional.”
I had only one intention:
to let skincare become part of life
without any sense of burden.
“Every night, after brushing my teeth and washing my face, apply a little aloe.”
This single action lasted for nearly half a year.
At first, I had to remind myself.
Later, it quietly became a habit.
Adding Slowly, Not All at Once
Once skincare started to feel more natural,
I began to wonder:
Could I try adding another product?
But what to add became a new question in itself.
I knew very clearly—
once a routine becomes complicated,
I’m likely to abandon it again.
So I reminded myself:
Skincare, for me,
is not a place to prove self-discipline.
It is a daily practice that deserves gentleness.
After understanding my skin type and current concerns,
I chose one product that could work well with aloe,
keeping the rhythm of my routine consistent—
no added difficulty, no extra steps.
Attaching Skincare to What I Already Do
I’m very aware of my own inertia.
If skincare requires “extra time,”
it will quickly be replaced by something else.
So I attached skincare directly to things I already do every day—
after brushing my teeth and washing my face.
I do not leave the sink.
I do not switch tasks.
I simply stay where I am and finish skincare.
This small adjustment meant I almost never forgot again.
Once a Day Is Enough
Most skincare advice recommends twice a day— Morning and night.
But at that time, I could only manage once a day.
At first, I hesitated:
Is this really enough?
Later, I realized—
what lasts matters more than what is perfect.
Even once a day,
with consistency,
my skin slowly began to change.
In Summary: What Can Be Sustained Is What Remains
Looking back,
the key to finally using my skincare products
was never the products themselves.
It was my willingness to adjust the method—
to make it fit my life rhythm.
When skincare is no longer something that requires effort,
only then can it truly become part of everyday life.
In the next piece,
I’ll write about how these practices gradually became habits—
ones that no longer rely on willpower to sustain.
------------
閱讀中文版:「從頭開始:如何讓保養成為一種「不費力」習慣?」
Comments
Post a Comment
Something to share?
Want to give feedback?
Asking questions?
Feel free to comment!