Empties: How to Stop Making Skincare as A Task

When skincare stops being a "task" and becomes a part of the daily flow, habits finally begin to hold. In this post, I share how I use minimalistic approach, habit stacking, and space organisation to  make skincare feel natural and a low-effort daily habit.

閱讀中文版:「 空瓶賞:如何讓保養不在是一項任務?」

------------

From Willpower to "Empty Bottles": 

Making It Effortless

When my skincare routine finally stabilised, it did not feel like I was "trying harder."

On the contrary, it happened on an ordinary night.  Looking at the empty bottles lining my vanity, I suddenly realized it had been a long time since I last asked myself: "Do I really have to do my skincare tonight?"

This "natural" change did not come from intense self-discipline
 It happened because skincare had move from a "task on a list" into the "background of daily life."


Not Discipline; Just Fewer Reminders

I used to treat skincare as a mission that required willpower to complete. 

Naturally, whenever I was tired, busy, or distracted, it was the first thing to be pushed aside.

Eventually, I realised that a habit that truly lasts is one that doesn't require a reminder to perform.


Habits are not "New Additions"—They Are "Extensions"

In my previous post (Link), I mentioned the concept of "Habit Stacking." Instead of adding a brand-new task to your life, you attach a new behaviour to something you already do every day.


So, I placed my skincare routine directly after brushing my teeth and washing my face. 

I did not leave the sink; 

I did not switch tasks. 

I finished everything right there. 


When skincare becomes an extension of an existing flow, it no longer requires extra willpower to initiate.


Minimalistic Approach: Reducing Choice Fatigue

When you have too many products and too many choices, the brain resists because it feels "troublesome." 

To simplify the process, I implemented two rules:

1. Limit the Steps:  The routine is capped at a maximum of three steps.

2. Modular Structure:

○ Fixed Steps (1 & 3): Hydration (e.g., Aloe) and Sealing (e.g., Lotion).

○ Flexible Step (2): A "functional product" choose based on the skin’s condition (like anti-ageing or exfoliation).

○ The "Tired" Clause:  on particularly exhausting day, the second step may be skipped entirely and only stick to basic repair.


When I do not have to stand in front of the mirror thinking, "Which bottle should I use today?",  skincare becomes incredibly simple and easily to maintain. Naturally, the number of products stayed at minimal, and the habit stayed consistent.


The "Grab-and-Go" Setup

Since I live with family, I cannot leave skincare products on the bathroom counter permanently. In the past, I often lost momentum simply because I have  to go back to my room or dig through drawers, and then I gave up. 

Now, I have a dedicated small pouch where all my essential products stay. Before I head to the bathroom, I grab the bag. After washing up, I take out the products, use them, and put them back—all in one fluid motion. 

Removing physical friction is the most effective way to sustain a habit.


The "Doable" Version is the Real Version

Is applying skincare once a day enough?

Currently, I still stick to a "once a day" frequency. However, this "doable version" has proven to be far more stable and long-lasting than any of my previous attempts at a "perfect" routine.

Occasionally, when energy and time allow, I will add a minimalistic morning routine (basic hydration + sunscreen). This is not forced; it is the natural surplus of energy that grows once the foundation is solid.


Conclusion: Choosing the Path of Least Resistance

Looking back, I have not become more disciplined.

I simply stopped blaming myself for lacking willpower and started designing a "less difficult" path. What stays in our lives is rarely the most "complete" method, but the most "suitable" one.

When things are simple, they last.

Looking at this pile of empties, I realised for the first time that consistency can actually feel effortless. 


(In the next post, I’ll be sharing my "2025 Empties List"—the minimalist holy grail that walked this journey with me.)

------------

閱讀中文版:「 空瓶賞:如何讓保養不在是一項任務?」


Comments