Declutter: It Is Okay If Not Ready to Let Go
Decluttering is not only about removing objects.
It is about seeing yourself and understanding yourself.
閱讀中文版:〈斷捨離:即使還沒準備好放手,也沒有關係〉
------------
It Is Okay Not to Be Ready
The Beginning of Decluttering & Simple Living
Before I began simplifying my life, I had two full boxes of university notes.
Every time I saw those boxes, I wondered, “Is it time to let these go?”
But no matter how many times I tried, I could not do it.
I used to think slow progress meant I was not decisive enough, motivated enough, or that I was somehow failing.
Later, I realized something important—
“Not ready” simply means “not ready.”
It is not procrastination, and it certainly is not failure.
The hardest part of decluttering is not the action,
but admitting that a part of you still cares.
1|Why Can’t I Let Go?
Those papers held more than information—
they carried my effort, stress, expectations, regret, and self-blame.
Letting go was not just an action; it was a way of facing my past self.
So I began asking myself:
• What am I truly attached to?
• Is it the notes, or a version of myself from that time?
• What is it that I truly want to keep?
The answers did not come in instant,
but each moment of honesty was a small step forward.
2|The Turning Point: When I Finally Felt Ready
One day, after finishing my nursing program and graduating college for the second time, I opened the boxes again.
This time, I did not panic or feel guilty.
I simply said, “Thank you for being with me during that time.”
Then, I recycled two-thirds of the notes and kept the remaining pages as scrap paper.
It wasn’t sudden decisiveness—
it was readiness built from understanding.
3|Conclusion: Pausing Is Also Moving Forward
This experience showed me the flexible and gentler side of decluttering:
We need time.
Objects need time.
There is no need to rush.
Decluttering is not cutting off the past.
It is walking forward gently, with understanding and peace.
------------
閱讀中文版:〈斷捨離:即使還沒準備好放手,也沒有關係〉
Comments
Post a Comment
Something to share?
Want to give feedback?
Asking questions?
Feel free to comment!