Declutter: Slow Progress is Still Progress.

There is no standardized answer for how fast should decluttering be. 

閱讀中文版:〈斷捨離:進度再慢,也是進步。〉

------------

Decluttering: Slow Progress is Still Progress


When I first began my decluttering journey, I was obsessed with "speed.”

I believed that the faster I cleared things out, the simpler my life would become.

But after years of trying, I finally realised:

There is no standardised speed for decluttering.


It took me two and a half years to let go of two and a half boxes of old class notes.

After officially committing to a minimalist lifestyle, it took me two and a half years to let go of two boxes of old class notes. Then it took another year and a half to clear two-thirds of my old class notes, untouched gifts, and brand-new clothes hidden at the back of my closet.


The process was slow — painfully slow.

But slow does not mean stagnant.


1 | Simple Living is not about speed but finding What is True for You

On internet, we often see people sharing stories like: 

"I decluttered ten years of belongings in one weekend.”

I used to envy that kind of decisiveness.

I even felt frustrated with myself for not being able to do the same.

I often dwell on an item or an event.


But eventually I understood:

• Some people thrive with a one-time full reset

• Some work best by decluttering gradually

• Some need time to understand their past and emotions

And I am definitely belonging to the third group.


I needed time to understand my attachments,

To talk to myself honestly,

To face the emotions hidden behind my belongings. 


Slow has its reasons,

And slow can still lead you to the finish line. 


2 | Even the Smallest Steps Count as Progress

Once I stopped comparing myself to others, I started noticing real change:

• Letting go of two sheets of paper = progress

• Opening a box and looking inside = progress

• Not discarding anything today but trying again tomorrow = more progress


Decluttering does not need to be done all at once.

As long as you have not stopped, you are moving forward.


The closer your pace aligns with your truth,

the more peaceful your life becomes.


3 | In Summary

Slow is fast enough.

Decluttering is not a race.

It is a journey of awareness, acceptance, and emotional clarity.


What truly matters is not how fast you go,

but how gently and consistently you move.


May everyone on this path find the strength within their own pace.

A slow rhythm will not stop you from creating the life you want.

------------

閱讀中文版:〈斷捨離:進度再慢,也是進步。〉 


Comments